My Story

ive finally made it as a doctor.. this blog is about me and my experiences in bangladesh. i do try to use bangladesh as a holiday to see family, but i have a skill which i must use when i am in my home country

Monday, March 5, 2007

lost in the bay of bengal

On Friday morning, after all the AGM had finished, I woke at 6am so me and 30 other people could go to bangladesh’s most southern point and one of the world’s unspoilt treasures. The place, is an island called St Martins.

The bus ride from cox’s bazaar to the smuggling port of teknaf was an arse aching 3 hours. We even got given breakfast on the bus, but eating that whilst dancing on the seat was a mission impossible. I didn’t sleep much that night, hasan and zaki kept me up in their banter, we spent an hr debating which bolly actress was the hottest. I said priyanka cause her body is fantastic. Curves in all the right places.

The majority of the bus ride was spent sleeping. People kept waking me up every 2mins trying to explain to me that the Bangladesh scenery is beautiful and I should be awake, but I kept snoring fak off to them. So we reached teknaf, the place was saturated with buses from tour companies because st martin is a massive tourist destination in Bangladesh. I was really chuffed, because I have heard so much about the place and now that I was going there, it felt surreal. We boarded the boat. It had three floors representing 3 classes.

The downstairs was plastic chairs, middle was comfier, and upstairs spacious. It was an ok ride, I managed to get some more shut eye in between taking pictures, so I was happy. The weather like usual, was warm and pleasant. Its not like the june, july months where it hits 40 deg Celsius. We reached st martins finally, seeing the island on the horizon of the bay of Bengal reminded me of what the island in Lost looks like. It really is a beautiful sight. The place is tiny, two fat people would make it look like a box room. But the beach was a beautiful colour. The population is small, 7000 and the main industry is fishing. Boats litter the shore and fishermen can be seen casting their nets.

There are a few hotels on the island. The place has potential for being a massive tourist site, because it also has a coral beach. I did see 2 white people there, enjoying the tranquillity and peace that this beach offers. In Bangladesh, beach culture is much more reserved, so sadly, u don’t see bikini babes wet and bathing in the sun, but I have a dvd in london for that so I aint too bothered.

So we walked around the beach, I took some pics, drank water from 4 coconuts, they were really good and took some more pictures. I bought rahima her shell, I was going to buy coral but I was afraid that it might be illegal so I declined. We found this standard Bengali restaurant a little inland. Sadly I didn’t get to eat fresh fish. The people I was with were pretty boring in that sense. after lunch, we headed back to go back to mainland Bangladesh. We did not stay for long at st martins, because we were heading back to Dhaka that night. But, the 2 hours I was there for was good. The only sad thing about st martins that I will remember, is that, u still see poverty here. It doesn’t matter where in Bangladesh you are, you still see poverty. It disgusts me that nothing has changed. But I alone can not do something. Change must come from the central government, and it needs to be soon.

To go back to mainland again, it was another 2 hr boat journey. I made a friend on that journey, nadia is a 10 year old studying at an English medium school. She is really cute and she wants to be a doctor in the future. Why? Because I am going to be a doctor.. little copy cat!!!
We reached our waiting bus and the sun was now beginning to set. Again I didn’t get to see a bay of Bengal sunset. I am not too upset, but it is something I will regret I am sure. The bus journey was a nice experience. Like in bollywood films, everybody started singing bangla songs and reciting famous bangla poetry. It was a really nice united feeling. I am beginning to understand how important language is and culture is. The more I am learning and the more interaction and exposure I get, the more I feel proud about the men and women that fought to preserve the Bengali language. Maybe I am not proud of what Bangladesh is now, but the spirit that exists amongst the people, rich or poor is something that is reaping a patriot emotion within me.

















2 comments:

Mushroom said...

nice pics.

p.s. is someone pouting in pic twelve? lol

x

Mushroom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.